- Clean your spectacles regularly.
- Rinse them thoroughly to remove any dust or grit that could scratch the lenses, then wash them with soap and luke-warm water, and rinse.
- Don’t use hot water as it can damage lens coatings and plastic frames.
- Use a soft toothbrush to clean nose pads and hinges.
- Remove stubborn marks on lenses using methylated spirits.
- Never use other solvents as they can damage your frames.
- Be careful when using hair spays or other sprays – they can coat the lenses and reduce your vision.
- When you put spectacles down make sure the lenses do not touch anything. This will help keep them scratch-free and bright.
- Keep spectacles in a protective case.
Putting on and removing your spectacles
To put your spectacles on:
- hold the side pieces halfway down and push them gently over your ears.
To remove your spectacles:
- hold them mid-way down the side pieces;
- raise them so that they clear your ears; and
- slide the spectacles forward. This way you will not disturb their alignment.
Always use two hands to put your spectacles on and take them off. Using one hand will flex the frame and over time will reduce the proper fit. Your glasses will need adjustment. Typically your glasses will slip down your nose or become uncomfortable. Visit your optometrist to have them re-adjusted.